Asparagus Soup for Dogs Recipe
It is a bright, crisp Autumn day in New England. In fact, a perfect day for soup! One of my pups favorite soup recipes is Asparagus. It is very similar to what you would make for yourself. What is different is the absence of onions since onions can be toxic to dogs.
- 1/2 stick of butter (4 Tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 pounds of asparagus (cut off the woody bits at the bottom and discard)
- 4 cups of chicken stock (or a 32 ounce box of sodium free chicken stock or two 16 ounce cans of sodium free chicken stock)
- 2 medium sized russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- black pepper
- Optional: 1/2 cup of fat free milk
- Cut the asparagus into 1-inch pieces
- Dice the potatoes into small pieces
- Melt 1/2 stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat
- Add the asparagus to the pot and simmer for 5 minutes
- Turn the heat to high then add the 4 cups of chicken stock and the diced potatoes
- Bring it to a boil
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and simmer for about 10 minutes until the asparagus and potatoes are tender
- Using a hand immersion blender, or a food processor, or a blender, process it until smooth. If using a blender or a food processor, do it in small batches
- Return the soup to the pot and stir it all together
- Optional: Add 1/2 cup of fat free milk and stir. Some dogs do not tolerate milk.
- Let the soup cool down and serve it to the pups.
Makes about 8 cups of soup